Thursday, March 29, 2012

Getting a file name from Query Analyzer

Hi all,

im trying to write a stored procedure that will basically browse a folder and get me the first file that it sees. Is there any way that I can do this in TSQL or using CLR in C#? I was thinking something along the lines of using the dos dir command and triyng to pipe it into a variable, not sure how to go about doing this. Any suggestions?

dir /b ...gives me the bare file names, but it lists all the files in the folder, any way that i can just get the first file ( i dont really care what file).

create table #filelist
(
files varchar(500)
)


truncate table #filelist


insert #filelist
EXEC xp_cmdshell 'dir c:*.* /b'


select top 1 * from #filelist

|||

This might help out:

http://stevekass.com/blog/wp-content/Folders/sql/TextDriver.htm

You can use TOP 1 to get just one file name.

Steve Kass

Drew University

http://www.stevekass.com

YoungEngineer@.discussions.microsoft.com wrote:

> Hi all,

>

> im trying to write a stored procedure that will basically browse a

> folder and get me the first file that it sees. Is there any way that I

> can do this in TSQL or using CLR in C#? I was thinking something along

> the lines of using the dos dir command and triyng to pipe it into a

> variable, not sure how to go about doing this. Any suggestions?

>

> dir /b ...gives me the bare file names, but it lists all the files in

> the folder, any way that i can just get the first file ( i dont really

> care what file).

>

>

>

>

No comments:

Post a Comment