Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Getting "Attribute relationships do not exist between one or more levels in this hierarchy&

Hello,

I have a cube that has been working just fine. When I opened it today all the hierarchies are showing the Warning ! in the triangle. When I move the cursor over it I get the message, "Attribute relationships do not exist between one or more levels in this hierarchy message."

I have been making changes to the fact table and reprocessing everything, but the processing goes fine.

I tried recreating the dimensions (with the wizards) and I still am getting these warnings. I have installed SP2, but it was working (I think) after I installed it.

Any ideas what could have caused this and what I can do to fix it?

Thank you.

-Gumbatman

Hello. You get this warning message when:

You have a user hierarchy(middle pane in the dimension editor) that is missing attribute relations between the levels in the hierarchy You have redundant attribute relations|||

Thomas,

I think I get what you are saying, but I don't think (could be very wrong) that I have redundant attributes.

The table below is the taken from my Time Dimension. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Row Date (Key) Fiscal Year Month Month Number Day Of Week Period Number 20031031 2004 October 10 Friday 1 20031130 2004 November 11 Sunday 2 20031231 2004 December 12 Wednesday 3 20040131 2004 January 1 Saturday 4 20040229 2004 February 2 Sunday 5 20040331 2004 March 3 Wednesday 6 20040430 2004 April 4 Friday 7 20040531 2004 May 5 Monday 8 20040630 2004 June 6 Wednesday 9 20040731 2004 July 7 Saturday 10 20040831 2004 August 8 Tuesday 11 20040930 2004 September 9 Thursday 12 20041031 2005 October 10 Sunday 1 20041130 2005 November 11 Tuesday 2 20041231 2005 December 12 Friday 3 20050131 2005 January 1 Monday 4 20050228 2005 February 2 Monday 5 20050331 2005 March 3 Thursday 6 20050430 2005 April 4 Saturday 7 20050531 2005 May 5 Tuesday 8 20050630 2005 June 6 Thursday 9 20050731 2005 July 7 Sunday 10 20050831 2005 August 8 Wednesday 11 20050930 2005 September 9 Friday 12

When I try and create a hierarchy of just Fiscal Year to Row Date, I get this attribute error.

I didn't get this error before on any of my dimensions, now all of them have this error. Even ones where the Dimension Wizard found the hierarchies. I don't know what changed.

Thank you for the help.

|||

Hello. Before SP2 you had a more obscure change of the icons to indicate if a user hierarchy was optimized with attribute relations or not. I think the icon was grey without attribute relations and blue(with level relations) if they were present.

This attribute relation is already present in the relation between the key and the Fiscal Year. This means that the warning message only means that you have an un-natural hierarchy. You are missing some levels between the year and the row date.

The user hierarchy you have created is already present in the attribute relation between the key and the Fiscal Year.

Your user hierarchy between Fiscal Year and the key is already present in the attribute hierarchy(the left pane).

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

|||

Thomas,

I think it is getting clearer. Previously, the hierarchy I created was Fiscal Year, Period Number, English Month. Why is this an un-natural hierarchy? What are the levels that I am missing in between?

On a different note, when I tried to add that hierarchy to a report (even by adding one-by-one instead of the Hierarchy itself) the report gave me an error that it could not create it because of the hierarchy was something not right (I will look it up).

Again, thank you so much for your help.

|||

It is not an un-natural hierarchy between Fiscal Year and (Fiscal) Period Number.

You have a collection key (two attributes) on the Period Number because it is not unique over several years?

English Month is the name column(property) on the Period Number column.

It is not part of the attribute relationship problem so do not build a relationship on this.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

|||

I don't have a collection key on the Period Number. I just tried doing this, and then creating the hierarchy, but no luck.

I did this by going into the KeyColumns property of Period Number. I added FiscalYear as a Key, so I have both PeriodNumber and FiscalYear as a collection, but I still get the warning about the relationship between PeriodNumber and Fiscal Year.

I really appreciate all the help.

|||

I think that you do not have to create a user hierarchy.

You already have this relation between PeriodNumber and Fiscal Year(in the left pane of the dimension editor) without having to create the same thing in the middle pane of the dimension editor.

Remove the middle pane user hierarchy for Fiscal Year and Period Number.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

|||

Thomas,

I think I am getting better at figuring this out with all your help of course.

If I understand you correctly, you say that "You already have this relation between PeriodNumber and Fiscal Year(in the left pane of the dimension editor) without having to create the same thing in the middle pane of the dimension editor." Is that because of what I have just set up with the Composite Keys and moving the PeriodNumber under the FiscalYear in the Attributes pane on the left?

Now when I browse the cube and put the Fiscal Year in the Columns is shows up with 12 versions of each Fiscal Year. Then I need to place the PeriodNumber in the Columns and then it shows the 12 versions of each Fiscal Year, but now it has the plus on it so I can open it up and see the PeriodNumber. I think I see what is happening, but I liked being able to place a whole hierarchy in the browser. While my seeing it is not terribly important, why does this occur? Will it matter when I do reporting?

Also, why create a Hierarchy in the middle pane when I sort of do the same thing with the attributes?

Thank you.

|||

All attributes in the dimension have a default attribute relation to the dimension key, which you can see in the left pane and if you expand the dimension key in this pane.

This is the fact even if you have no user hierarchies in the middle pane.

When you build user hierarchies in the middle pane you add attribute relations between the levels in this user hierarchy.

So PeriodNumber(The dimension key) have already a relation to Fiscal Year before you build the same relation with a user hierarchy.

If you get a warning message on the user hierarchy, which is strange because of the existing default attribute relation, you can probably ignore it.

This message only means that the user hierarchy is not optimized.

Composite keys and attribute relations are not the same. Attribute relations is about optimization of cubes and dimensions and composite keys makes each attribute unique.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

|||

Thomas,

I can't begin to thank you enough for the time and effort you put into answering my questions. You've been amazingly helpful and I never would have figured all of this out by myself.

Thank you!

-Gumbatman

No comments:

Post a Comment